I’ve recently relocated to Cape Town, South Africa from sleepy Durban. I knew it was beautiful, but nothing could have prepared this creative soul for just how beautiful this city actually is.
I am easily and purposefully distracted by the way the world runs around me. The city of Cape Town dances, and I am compelled to move along – helping me out of those dreaded and unavoidable… CREATIVE BLOCKS!
As a graphic designer, sketch artist, and aspiring watercolour painter, I find myself stumped every so often as I’m sure many creatives do. Any and all creatives will tell you that they’ve experienced a ‘block’ at least once in their life. Blockages appear even in my hobbies, they do not discriminate. I’ve doubted myself countless times, wondering if I’ve reached my limit, or if I’m just not creative at all, or if anyone will even like what I have to offer. Madness.
Creative Blocks and How I Knock ‘Em Down
- Get enough sleep (This one is a SUPER creative aphrodisiac)
- Read more (Others have done this before, you are not alone)
- More sleep! (They all mention this ALOT)
- Force yourself to procrastinate (I know, blasphemy right? But stepping away from your work can bring about new perspectives)
- Allow yourself to feel emotional (Sounds like a cliche but holding things inside could be the cause of your creative block — use it!)
- Change your scenery (I’m focusing on this one right now)
- Comfy clothes!!! (The less restrictive the better)
- And don’t forget how lucky you are to be creative.
You Are Unique
Using street art as my go-to for my next creative fix has helped me in more ways than eight (except for sleep, I don’t know how good sleeping on the streets will be). I’m getting out more, changing my environment, exploring different ways of expression, and EXERCISING.
I’ve shared some snaps that were taken by me along my walks that dragged me out of my comfort zone, PJs, from under a rock, and into a whole new world. Enjoy!